- 1 Chinese cabbage
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2.5cm/1in piece ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp fish sauce (optional)
- 2 tbsp chilli sauce or chilli paste (see below)
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 8 radishes coarsely grated
- 2 carrots cut into matchsticks or coarsely grated
- 4 spring onions finely shredded
Slice the cabbage into 2.5cm strips. Tip into a bowl, mix with 1 tbsp sea salt, then set aside for 1 hr. Meanwhile, make the kimchi paste by blending the garlic, ginger, fish sauce (if using), chilli sauce, sugar and rice vinegar together in a small bowl.
Rinse the cabbage under cold running water, drain and dry thoroughly. Transfer to a large bowl and toss through the paste, along with the radishes, carrot and spring onions. Serve straight away or pack into a large jar, seal and leave to ferment at room temperature overnight, then chill. Will keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks - the flavour will improve the longer it's left.
Recipe curiosity of BBC good food