Here's a delicious Spring stew to celebrate the sunshine...
Glug olive oil
4 shallots, finely sliced
250g baby carrots, halved lengthways
2 celery sticks, finely chopped
2 leeks, sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
250g red quinoa 250ml dry white wine
1 litre vegetable stock
200g frozen peas
½ tbsp dijon mustard
Juice 1 lemon
Bunch fresh parsley, chopped
Bunch fresh dill, roughly chopped, handful set aside for the pickle
For the quick pickled little-gems
1 red onion, very finely sliced
3 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 tbsp caster sugar
Glug olive oil
2 little gem lettuces, halved
Small bunch fresh mint, leaves picked
1. Heat the oil in a large casserole and fry the shallots over a medium heat for 5 minutes until starting to soften. Add the carrots, celery and leeks, then cook for a further 5-8 minutes until they colour a little and start to soften.
2. Add the garlic and vinegar, stir for a minute, then add the quinoa. Stir everything for 2 minutes, then add the white wine.
3. Simmer to reduce for 3-4 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Add the vegetable stock, season with salt and pepper and simmer for 25-30 minutes until the veg and quinoa are nearly tender and the stock has plenty of flavour.
4. Meanwhile, for the quick-pickled little gems, mix the onion, vinegar and sugar in a small bowl and set aside. Heat a glug of oil in a medium frying pan. When very hot, add the lettuces and fry for 4-5 minutes all over until lightly charred. Put in a serving bowl, then add the onion mixture.
5. When the vegetables in the stew are nearly tender, stir in the peas, mustard and lemon juice. Simmer until the peas are cooked through and the stew is piping hot. To serve, taste and season, then stir the parsley and dill into the stew and the mint and remaining dill into the pickled little gems. Serve the stew in bowls with the pickled little gems.
Recipe link below